Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Assignment 6

Student at a computer.







The Networked Student
Wendy Drexler

While watching this video, I realized that this type of learning reminds me of EDM 310. Just like a student of connectivism, we use different tools to help us learn. We use things like Delicious, iTunes, Google Scholar, and various search engines and blogs.

The video made a point of asking why a networked student would even need a teacher. I think teachers play an important role in the life of any type of student. The video uses phrases like "learning concierge" and "learning incubator" to describe a teacher. Teachers are who we go to for questions and answers. Teachers teach us how to learn.

I think that a networked student is a very good idea. Through networking, we can experience a world outside of textbooks. We can start to understand that a textbook does not have all the information we might want to know. There are so many other possibilities in the world of learning.


A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEls3tq5wIY

This 7th grader is a very organized student. I, myself, try to work in an organized way. She explains that her science class is basically paperless. The students are given a freedom that lets them realize what responsibility is. I think more classes should introduce personal learning environments to help their students.

The Machine is Changing Us
Michael Wesch

I found this video pretty hard to follow. It seemed like there were a lot of topics going on at one time, most of them making fun of one generation or another. I did, however, like the fact that he used quotes from different sources to make his points. He talked about the different uses and outcomes of media, such as television and Youtube. This video did make me think of how powerful Youtube can be. Some people really put themselves out there. I watch videos on Youtube all the time, some for fun and some for work related things. I still wish the video would have been a little clearer.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    Based on your response ... There are so many other possibilities in the world of learning ... what do you have in mind as a future educator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge advocate of hands on learning. I love projects and field trips. From this class, I learned that technology can play a major role in hands on learning.

    ReplyDelete