Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blog Assignment 10

An Open Letter To Educators
Morgan Bayda



Morgan's post really spoke to me. She talks about information and how we access that information. To make her point, she references a video by Dan Brown. She explains that she sometimes has trouble staying awake in her classes because her teachers do not allow communication with others or allow hands on learning. They spit out information, and that is how they expect their students to learn.

I have the exact same problem. I am not able to sit through a class in which the teacher is just talking the entire time about something we are going to have to memorize for the test. I learn better when it comes to hands on learning.

Before reading this post, I did not stop to think about how a University works these days. You have to literally pay for information. The Internet gives us this information for free! It almost makes a person wonder why they are attending a University to begin with.



Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!
This is a post that shows how one person takes a problem and focuses on the solution instead of the problem itself. He is faced with the problem that if children take pencils home, they will score lower on standardized tests. He comes up with the solution that if he keeps the children interested, the pencils will not make a difference on the test scores. Although he is challenged by another person on his views, he stands firm to his beliefs. This is truly inspiring!


Two Questions That Can Change Your Life-Daniel Pink

Two questions that can change your life from Daniel Pink on Vimeo.



Daniel Pink's video gives us two questions. "What is your sentence?" This sentence about yourself provides insight into who you are. I have put a lot of thought into my sentence. My sentence, as of right now, is as follows: She spent her time helping others to further themselves. I am only 21 years old, so I am sure that my sentence will be revised, but I hope to convey the same message.

Daniel's second question makes you think about yourself. "Was I better today than yesterday?" I think that this is something I am going to carry with me. If you ask this question everyday, it will give you motivation to make the next day better and the next day and the next.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany! I enjoyed reading your blog post. I really enjoyed what you said about Daniel Pink's video. It was my absolute favorite. I put a lot of thought into my sentence too, and I thought yours was very good! I also agree that his question "Was I better today than yesterday?" was something worth carrying with you. I'm probably going to do the same. This video meant so much to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but Dan Brown's video does ignore an important fact about education, the "Degree". Sure he may do a lot better on his own and more power to him. However, we have an educational system and employers have their requirements and many times (especially for good paying jobs) that is a degree or some kind of proof of higher education. I certainly understand his frustration but I'm not sure abandoning the entire system is going to be productive. Of course, I could be wrong. SS

    ReplyDelete