Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

How Kids Teach Themselves
Sugata Mitra






This is an amazing video. It shows how intrigued kids really are about learning. Mr. Mitra put computers up, allowed children to access them, and watched what happened. These children took it upon themselves to learn about various subjects.

I think that learners who are motivated are very capable of teaching themselves. If they take resources into their own hands, they can do anything. I think this is very true concerning kids. I've seen so many kids, including the ones in this video, who are intrigued by new thoughts. I think kids are more open-minded than adults. I think that there are certain conditions needed to teach oneself, be it a child or an adult. I think access to computers and the Internet play a big role in these needed conditions. The Internet gives us access to more than we could possibly imagine. I think computers provide a sort of "awe" for people. Computers keep it interesting and, therefore, create an interest to learn.

Motivation is key when it comes to doing anything. If you don't have motivation, it's not really possible to accomplish anything, and this includes learning. Learning means asking questions and finding answers. When you ask questions, you show that you're interested in your subject, and if you're motivated enough, you'll find those answers. In order to motivate someone to learn, I think you have to make it interesting for them or even challenge them. If they find it boring or too easy, they won't learn anything. This is very true for me. If I'm not challenged, I'm not interested, and therefore, I don't learning anything. I just do the assignment to be done with it.

I definitely find that I have a tendency to teach myself. I do a lot of research on a lot of different things all the time. If I am interested in a subject, I learn more about it. I also teach myself when I don't understand something, such as an assignment given. I think teachers play an important role in learning because they introduce new ideas and serve as a support system.

I think the most important thing that I will take away from this video is the fact that kids really do want to learn. I think all aspiring teachers (and even current teachers) should consider this. Don't assume that children aren't interesting in something. Give kids a chance, and they may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment