Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Post 5

Podcasting




The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
Joe Dale

Joe Dale did a great job showing everyone how effective podcasts can be in the classroom. I didn't know much about podcasts before this class. After watching this video, I now know that children respond in a very positive way to this teaching tool. It grasps their attention. they aren't forced to sit there and read from their textbooks all day. They can listen and even create their own podcasts. Podcasts even allow children to have sick days without worry and allow parents to be involved in their children's learning. Neither will feel left out or pushed aside. I think making podcasts interesting to people on all levels is an important thing that I will take with me.


Eagle Nest Radio and Class Blog
http://blog.woodward.edu/ps_edmison/?cat=103

These third graders really seem to love this type of learning. Their voices show how much fun they have in creating their own lessons. I wish that I could have been able to participate in things like this when I was their age. I think that when things are hands on, like these podcasts are, we retain more of the information. I also think that when we are making our own podcasts, we have to follow the lead of these students. We have to be interested in our topics. If we aren't, we sure do have to pretend that we are. Our listeners will know in our voices if we are bored, and in return, our listeners will be bored and make our podcasts ineffective.


Langwitches
http://langwitches.org/blog/category/podcasting/

The blog, "Langwitches," is a great source that explains how effective podcasts can be. this blog has great posts that illustrate how children seem to be very attracted to podcasts. They get to not only take a break from the usual curriculum, but get to participate in an exciting way to learn. This blog also has posts that show us that technology isn't something that takes away from learning. It is something that enhances learning. It grabs a student's attention and runs with it. I learned that some people can be put off by podcasts and other technology, but we can take our own podcasts and try to show other people just what these things can do.

3 comments:

  1. Good post Tiffany.

    I think you know how good and how cool podcast are to students. I think that there are many times when I was in elementary school that I would have loved to do my very own podcast on something I had learned that day.

    Also, I think some people overlook how important it is for a student, especially a young child, to be engaged in the activities of class work.

    Be careful on your proof reading. I'm sure if you read your post again you will find a small mistake.

    Keep up the good work Tiffany!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tiffany for you post and thank you for making me feel better about not knowing anything about podcast either. Before this class all I knew was that you could get them on your iPod. It is also good seeing that both of us are getting a grasp on the whole podcast craze. I also loved the Eagle Nest Radio assignment. It is amazing seeing those kids be that creative and that technologically sound. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out my capitalization error, Stephen!

    ReplyDelete